Bad smelling breath causes embarressment and socio-psychological problems and it might even affect the marriages.
- The substances composed of sulfur that are leftovers of bacteria in the mouth cause odor.
- Bacteria layers and food leftovers accumulate in the back of tongue.The surface of tongue has a rough texture and this creates pothole like pockets that are suitable environment for bacteria reproduction.A significant portion of sulfur exists in these pockets.
- If the tooth surface is not kept clean,in a very short time it becomes a suitable environment for bacteria.
- Patients with advanced level gum diseases are unable to clean some restricted areas with tooth brush therefore uncleaned areas might cause odor due to containment of bacteria.
- Good news is that the odor caused by bacteria can be eliminated after a short treatment.
- In a full mouth check-up,odor tests can be applied in order to measure the sulfur levels.
- Advanced level gum diseases and cavities should be treated so as to prevent formation of bad smell.
- Mouth infections must be treated and problematic teeth must be removed in order not to cause infection.
- Oral hygiene must be maintained. Teeth and tongue surface must be kept clean. Mouth wash liquids and tooth pastes can help keep the mouth clean.
- In order to prevent mouth dryness,it is recommended to drink plenty of water during the day.
- Stimulate the saliva production by chewing sugar-free gums.
- Try to consume goods containing substantial amount of water inside,such as (tomatoes,celery,leeks,parsley) ve fruits (apple).
- Consuming parsley based tablet pills.
- Try to avoid garlic,onion and spice,if you can’t try to consume them cooked. Also due to digestive reasons ,dairy products might lead to bad smell as well.
- Chewing coffee beans and sucking orange and lemon shells can be conducive.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco products.
It is easy to fix the mouth odor problem but needs treatment.If the problem persists, other reasons must be investigated.
Other reasons of bad breath;
Especially sinus and lung sourced infections